Ensuring your employees feel professionally satisfied and valued is crucial to boosting productivity and creating a healthy, thriving corporate culture. It is also essential for reducing organizational turnover and retaining quality talent during this time of historically low unemployment. While it may sound like a daunting, or expensive task, you can work with your management team to implement free or low-cost strategies to help motivate your employees, and help your managers evolve professionally.
Energize your workforce, and retain your most talented employees at your organization by implementing these 10 strategies:
- One of the easiest and most important ways to boost productivity is to show your employees that you truly appreciate them. A simple, "thank you," or, "good job," can go a long way in encouraging them to keep doing their best. Public recognition in front of their peers can offer a higher level of recognition while simultaneously motivating other employees as well.
- Create a mission statement and purpose for the organization that unites your team and aligns everyone’s values. The management team should have a passion for the mission and purpose of the organization and actively work to represent and reinforce those values.
- Don’t wait for yearly reviews; provide meaningful feedback in a constructive manner on a regular basis to your employees. Thoughtful responses to employee work, whether it is positive or negative, can encourage employees to strive to be better if it is communicated in a thoughtful manner.
- Introduce incentives or rewards for exceptional performance. This could include a salary increase, a bonus, extra vacation days, or other gifts. Be sure to tailor incentives to the employee’s job duties to make them as effective as possible. Offer these incentives in a timely manner corresponding to good performance rather than once per year.
- Work with employees at all levels of the organization to formulate individual goals that coincide with the larger goals of the organization. These objectives should be fulfilling and promote personal development as well as helping employees perform their jobs better. Give employees opportunities to take on new responsibilities or projects to grow as professionals.
- Offer advanced training for managers on how to develop better relationships with their team members, including discussing solid communication skills and the importance frequent one-on-one engagement.
- Host company parties, lunches, or other fun events to encourage employees to take a break from the grind of the daily work day and allow them to socialize with other team members and managers throughout the business.
- Create a culture of wellness at your organization. Your employees commit a lot of time and energy to their workday. Reward them with wellness benefits such as fitness classes, healthy snacks and drinks, ergonomic workstations, and fitness contests. Encourage managers and executive leadership to lead by example whenever possible by living a healthy lifestyle and promoting a positive work-life balance.
- Ask for feedback and use it. Ask employees what the company could do to make them more motivated to do their jobs, or to help them be more productive. Employee surveys can reveal meaningful insights and help you improve and your business grow.
- Develop transparent communication throughout the organization so employees are kept in the loop regarding organizational changes and goals. Employees will be more motivated and productive if they are kept in the know.
Offering quality employee benefits is another tool to help keep your workforce satisfied and engaged. Learn more about how Eastern Insurance and Eastern Benefits Group can help your organization by visiting our website at www.easterninsurance.com.