Eastern Insurance Group LLC
Emergency Basics and Communication Plan Details
The two things you need in case of any type of natural disaster are an emergency kit and a family communication plan. Your emergency kit is simply a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency. Taking the time to prepare in advance of any emergency makes good sense.
Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
- Water: One gallon of water per person per day for three days (both drinking and sanitation)
- Food: Three-day supply, nonperishable
- Hand-crank or battery radio (with extra batteries) and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert.
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Dust mask, plastic sheeting, and duct tape to hold shelter in place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, plastic ties (personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local paper maps
- Cell phone with charger, inverter, or solar charger
- Pet food and supplies.
Family Communication Plan:
- Your family might not be together. Plan how you will contact one another.
- Create a contact card for all family members, and have each person keep the card in a wallet, purse, backpack, briefcase, etc.
- Check emergency plans with your children’s day care or school.
- Identify a nonlocal friend or relative whom household members can notify when they are safe. They may be in a better position to communicate between separated families.
- If you have a cell phone, program that person(s) as “ICE” (In Case of Emergency) in your phone. If you are in an accident, emergency personnel will often check your ICE listings in order to contact someone you know.
- Text messages can often get around network disruptions when a phone call might not be able to get through.
Do we have your current email address? We provide up to date information about contacting Eastern Insurance and the companies we represent in emergency situations. For more information, please call 800-333-7234.