Flood Disaster Preparedness
Prepare for a Flood
- Click Here) Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communication plan.(
- Avoid building in floodplains unless the structure is elevated and reinforced.
- Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel.
- Consider installing “check valves” to prevent floodwater backups.
- Construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basement with waterproofing compounds.
- Six inches of water will stall or cause control issues in most passenger vehicles.
- A foot of water will float many passenger vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most passenger vehicles, including SUVs and pickups.
- Never attempt to drive through a flooded road. Depth is not always obvious, and the roadbed might be washed away beneath the surface.
- Do not drive around barricades.
- Stick to designated evacuation routes and do not try to take shortcuts.
- Avoid driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.
Call Eastern Insurance with any questions you have about Flood Insurance at 800-333-7234.