What College Graduates Need to Know About Insurance

Congratulations! Graduating from college is a significant milestone in your life. One that will bring on many new and exciting life changes involving work, money, living space, and possessions.

As you seek out new ventures, one thing you'll need is insurance. You'll want good insurance that is reasonably priced from a knowledgeable advisor.

There are four types of insurance you'll want to consider after college graduation:

  1. Auto
  2. Renter's
  3. Health
  4. One Insurance Source

Auto Insurance

In college, you were probably on your parents' auto policy. That's because their policy covered resident relatives. However, when you move out and/or get title to a vehicle, you're no longer covered on their auto policy.

Another reality is that your auto insurance needs are different than your parents'. For example, they might be financially able to have a large deductible on their policy. But that might not be best for you right now.

Now is the time to call Eastern Insurance. We represent a wide variety of insurance companies so you'll have many options to choose from.

Also, auto insurers offer discounts. You can bet we'll hunt every one of them down for you.

Options and discounts.  Eastern Insurance will present all of them to you. We'll make sure you get the best auto policy coverage value for the least amount of money.

Renter's Insurance

Picture this: You finally get your own place.  You move out of the family home (Not just for the school year. This time it's permanent!).  You can't believe how much stuff you've accumulated:

  • TV
  • Laptop or PC
  • Printer
  • DVD Player
  • IPod and other music players
  • Cell Phone
  • Game systems
  • Bedroom set and other furniture
  • Microwave and other kitchen appliances
  • Watch / Jewelry

(You might not think these items are worth much, but they are – especially when you think of how much it would cost to replace them.

A couple of friends help you move into your new garden apartment. Great!

You're moved, you've managed to save a couple of bucks and it's two weeks before you start work.  So, you take a short trip with some friends to Cancun. You have a blast and return home Saturday night.

You're still smiling at the memories of the trip as you walk up the stairs. Maybe you're even chuckling as you put the key in the door and open it.

Then you stop laughing. You stop smiling. Your mouth goes ajar and you can't believe your eyes.

Your place has been trashed.  Everything you had is gone -- your laptop, DVD player, game system. Everything.

That's a bad enough feeling.  And it happens.  But eventually you realize all of your things are replaceable.  Or are they?

Did you have Renter's Insurance?

Renters insurance covers your belongings (clothing, books, CDs, furniture - everything) not only in your apartment but also in your locked car and anywhere else you take them.  It protects your things against fire and other occurrences beyond your control -- including vandalism and theft.

If you thought about it at all, you may have thought insurance was the responsibility of the landlord. It's not. The landlord's policy covers the building only. It's a renter's policy that will help pay for the replacement of all your personal items.

It will also pay for an attorney and protect you in case someone gets injured while in your apartment and/or you get sued if damage caused by you impacts neighboring apartments.

Eastern Insurance will give you peace of mind about your belongings and your liability. We'll help you sort it all out. As with auto insurance, we're big on discounts. We'll make sure you get them.

Health Insurance

Let's say before starting your job you decide to take a month and backpack across Europe. You're in Paris when you begin feeling a pain in the lower right side of your abdomen that will not go away with an Alka Seltzer.

The pain gets worse. You finally get medical help. You discover you have appendicitis and need your appendix removed.

Wait a minute.

Do you even have health insurance?

Remember, as a full-time student you can usually stay on your parents' health coverage until somewhere between the ages of 22 to 25. So check on what age you're no longer covered on their policy.

With the new health care bill passed in 2010, new federal regulation is that children can stay on their parents' policy until age 26.

However, after you leave school and your home, you're responsible for insuring your health. Being without health insurance makes you very vulnerable.

Discuss this important life decision with us.  We can help you find the best health plan, with the best value for this time in your life.  We're experts in all of the different options in the ever changing world of health care.

One Insurance Source

When you make the transition from college to "real life," everything changes.

Now you're responsible for protecting yourself and your family...

Your choices are difficult and you need an expert on your side.  Don't fool yourself and pretend you know insurance.  It can be complicated business. Plus, your needs can constantly change as your life changes.

Work with someone who specializes in College Graduates.  Contact Eastern Insurance today.

The saddest words this agent ever hears are "I knew I should have done something".  All you need to do is one simple thing...contact us.

We're your one stop insurance shop.  We'll do all the work for you.  Complete the quote request form or call us today at 1-800-333-7234.