You've taken a new job across the country! Congratulations! You'll be moving to a new home in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts. To save money on the move, you decide to rent a truck from a well-known rental company. As you're on your way to your new home, the car in front of you stops suddenly. You rear-end it, causing considerable damage. Are you covered?

Moving Truck Rental Insurance

If you initialed and signed "yes" to the insurance questions on the rental form, then you're covered. That's because you purchased optional damage waivers and supplemental insurance from the truck rental company. It's good to check with your insurance agent, though. Some auto policies do cover a rental truck. And your renter’s or homeowner’s policy will probably cover your belongings while in transit. Again, check with your agent prior to the move to make sure you're covered, especially since you're driving a vehicle that you're probably unfamiliar with.

You don't want to add to the stress of moving and starting a new job by worrying about a truck accident. In most cases, it's probably best to buy the rental company's insurance. It's inexpensive, and it's reassuring to know that you're definitely covered.

Contact Eastern Insurance Group LLC at 1-800-333-7234 for a thorough review of this situation. We will give you peace of mind about your insurance coverage.

Now That You're Moved In, What About Insurance?

When you move to another state, your auto and homeowner's insurance will change. Insurance companies apply different rates to different states. Also, state laws may differ. Eastern Insurance is licensed in most states in the continental United States. Give us a call, and we'll walk you through your next steps.

Auto Insurance

You can contact your current agent for a referral in your new state or find an agent on your own. But most likely, you'll need to get another agent (unless your agent is licensed in your new state). If you move within your state, report your change of address to your agent. Since where you live impacts the rates, it may make a difference in your insurance costs.

Homeowners Insurance

If you own a home, you'll have to keep your insurance in place until the house changes ownership.

For your new home, you'll have to supply proof of insurance prior to purchase. Even if you rent, you may need to provide proof of renter's insurance as part of the lease.

You might want to consider purchasing umbrella insurance as another layer of coverage in the event you're a victim of a lawsuit. The umbrella coverage kicks in after your homeowners and/or auto insurance policy liability limit is reached.

If your new home is part of an association, you might want to consider loss assessment coverage. This coverage pays for a loss the association might assess its homeowners for. For example, if the association gets sued and the judgment is greater than the association's policy limits, it might ask the homeowners to share in that judgment amount.

Finally, if you store belongings in a commercial storage unit, check your homeowners or renter's insurance to see if they're covered. If not, you may have to purchase a storage unit policy.

One Insurance Source

Talk with Eastern Insurance if you're moving to the Massachusetts area. We'll make sure you get the right auto and homeowner's coverage for your new surroundings. As a leading independent agent, we have many highly rated insurance companies to choose from. We will be able to obtain the best value and insurance coverage for your situation by making sure you receive all your allowed premium discounts.

For more information, please call us at 1-800-333-7234.